Re: Tramp 2.2.0: missing tramp-loaddefs.el error

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp 2.2.0: missing tramp-loaddefs.el error
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 15:50:35 +0100

egarrulo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Elena,

> thank you for answering.  I don't think it's a Tramp-specific or
> Windows-specific issue.  My understanding is that ./configure fails to
> generate the tramp-loaddefs.el file.  There are also some issues
> regarding directory referencing (the password.el issue).  If it were a
> Makefile issue, I could have troubleshooted it, but it is an Autoconf
> one, and I'm not skilled at that.

You're right, I could'nt find too much in your config.log. However, it
is a little bit irritating, that configure tries to write
"c:/c/tmp/tramp-2.2.0/lisp/tramp-loaddefs". Maybe it is a problem with
gnuwin32 paths?

> I've ran ./configure on my Debian box at home and it works flawlessly,
> both generating tramp-loaddefs.el and linking password.el.  I've
> deleted the .elc files and copied the .el ones on my Windows box, and
> Tramp seem to work.  I understand that I'm using some *nix-specific
> settings on Windows, but for my simple tasks like find-file, it works.

In general, it is OK. There might be some configuration options active
like the "dav" and "davs" methods, which won't run under MS Windows, but
it doesn't hurt as long as you don't use them.

For the link with password.el: my configure script simply calls "ln -s",
which might be not so useful in your case. But if you copy password.el
from the contrib into the lisp library, password caching shall work for
you as well.