Re: tramp-default-method: heuristic fails if PSSH is present on system

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp-default-method: heuristic fails if PSSH is present on system
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 18:40:22 +0100

Ulrich Mueller <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

> tramp-default-method is wrongly set to "pscp" if a binary called
> "pscp" (installed by PSSH, http://code.google.com/p/parallel-ssh/) is
> found in the path.

"pscp" is also chosen, when putty is installed on a GNU/Linux
system. This might not be the preferred choice.

> This happens both with the tramp version included with Emacs 23.2 and
> with Emacs from BZR (as of today), on GNU/Linux.
>
> To distinguish between PuTTY and PSSH, I'd suggest testing for the
> "putty" binary (instead, or in addition to pscp). Or, alternatively,
> one could test for absence of the "pssh" binary.

I would prefer to reorder the check, meaning that scp takes precedence
over pscp. However, this raises problems with cygwins's scp, which does
not cooperate with Tramp pretty well.

Is there a cheap test for the presence of scp, NOT being the cygwin one?
Or shall we take pscp only in case of

      (memq system-type '(cygwin windows-nt))

?