Re: tramp (2.2.6-pre); ssh hangs after password prompt

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.6-pre); ssh hangs after password prompt
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:11:20 -0400

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:11:31 +0200 Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

MA> Good ole crystal ball: it is right. Your shell prompts on both machines
MA> look like (I have replaced ^M and ^[ by their ascii representation):

MA> %
   ^M ^M^M^[[01;30m[^[[01;39mbitnoix^[[01;address@hidden;39mnzebook
^[[22;37m~^[[01;30m] ^[[01;30m%^[[00m

MA> %
   ^M ^M^M^[[01;30m[^[[01;39mphilipp^[[01;address@hidden;39mnxe
^[[22;37m~^[[01;30m] ^[[01;30m%^[[00m

MA> You should suppress the escape sequences on the remote side (see the
MA> Tramp manual for recipes).

I think I'm running into something similar, but it started recently and
I don't think my zsh prompt is the problem (as per the manual, I have

[ $TERM = "dumb" ] && unsetopt zle && PS1='$ '

after any other prompt settings).  I edebugged to find that
`tramp-wait-for-regexp' was cycling forever, as if `with-timeout' had no
effect.

I submitted a tramp bug but would like some help debugging this further,
in case it's something simple I've overlooked.

Ted