Re: Accessing SMB shares extremely slow

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Accessing SMB shares extremely slow
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:12:36 +0200

Martin Apel <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Martin,

> this change helped a lot. I noticed in the strace output, that
> smbclient seems to read its input character by character,
> but I did not think that this was responsible for the bad response
> time. Here are the measurements with the latest version:

So we got it. Thanks for your testing!

I'll commit the changes, will be available with Emacs 24.3 and Tramp 2.2.7.

> This speeds up loading of a file dramatically. What is still somewhat
> slow, is dired browsing the remote share, but this is within
> reasonable bounds.

I have the feeling for a long time, that Tramp could cache better in the
smb case. Maybe I shall use this method more frequently, in order to be
annoyed by the reaction time (and improve it) :-)

When there is a free time slot, I'll try to check it more systematically.