error 500 problem

From: Christian Lynbech
Subject: error 500 problem
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:00:43 +0100

I maintaining some web stuff on an FTP server that is giving me some
grief.

If I try to do a dired on this sort of filename:

    /ftp:address@hidden:/

I get this error

    byte-code: FTP Error: USER request failed: 500 This security scheme is not
implemented

and I am landed in the *ftp buffer which will be showing the following:

    ftp> open x.x.x
    Connected to x.x.x.
    220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
    220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
    220-Local time is now 21:47. Server port: 21.
    220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
    220 You will be disconnected after 5 minutes of inactivity.
    user "X" Turtle Power!
    500 This security scheme is not implemented
    Remote system type is UNIX.
    Using binary mode to transfer files.
    ftp> 331 User X OK. Password required
    230-User X has group access to:  X
    230-OK. Current restricted directory is /
    230 182926 Kbytes used (3%) - authorized: 4889600 Kb
    ftp>

The connection is up, so if I delete the dired buffer and tries doing th
dired again, I am in and can continue doing my stuff.

I am a little unsure what the error 500 is and what happens that
triggers it.

Is this actually an ange-ftp issue (the info manual seems to say that
ftp is forwarded to ange-ftp) and does anybody happens to know how to
avoid the problem?

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)