Re: tramp (2.2.3-24.1); Using tramp to run ess-remote session. Submittin

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.3-24.1); Using tramp to run ess-remote session. Submitting more than one line of code at a time, causes emacs to wait indefinitely.
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:04:00 +0100

Tobias Muhlhofer <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael:

Hi Tobias,

> One more thing. I poked around a little bit more and found that a *R*
> buffer (which is what ESS uses to run R sessions) is actually
> established. Its contents are:

> env: R: No such file or directory
>
> Process R exited abnormally with code 127 at Fri Feb 15 12:48:11 2013

That means, that the binary "R" is not found in $PATH on the remote machine.

> But I think I understand what's going on. That particular remote
> server requires a script to be executed upon login that puts the R
> executable into the user's PATH. [They use the Modules package to
> manage the user's environment.] That script doesn't seem to be
> executed. Tried a different remote server that doesn't require this,
> and I don't have that problem there at all. I can start an R remote
> process there without a problem. And, lo and behold, like you, I can
> feed multiple lines to that process through C-c M-r, like you.  I bet
> that's the solution to that particular puzzle.
>
> So, let me know about how you want to proceed with this one, as well
> as the original issue about using M-x shell to start the R process.

I guess, that your ~/.profile calls that script on the remote server,
setting a proper $PATH. Per default, Tramp ignores private $PATH
settings. If you want to keep this setting, you should eval

          (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path 'tramp-own-remote-path)

Alternatively, you could add the concrete path to the directory
containing the R binary to `tramp-remote-path'. See the Tramp manual,
section 4.14 "How TRAMP finds and uses programs on the remote machine".

The issue that M-x shell cannot be used anymore is not Tramp related,
because it happens for local machines as well. If you want this
functionality back, you might ask the ess maintainers.