Re: tramp 2.26 emacs 24.3 plink

From: MM
Subject: Re: tramp 2.26 emacs 24.3 plink
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:17:11 +0100

On 15 September 2014 15:44, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> 4. finally, it tries to locate the file I've asked for, but adds the C
>>> windows drive. Indeed, my home directory is actually the same on my
>>> windows box and the remote solaris server.
>>
>> Hmm, you run Tramp 2.2.6. I remember a bug with the volume letter, which
>> was fixed in 2.2.8. Maybe it is the same here?
>
> PS: See <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14030>
>From emacs package manager, I see TRAMP as builtin with no ability to
install a newer version of tramp.
I've donwloaded 2.2.9 tar gz, from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tramp.
Is a copy of the .el files into where tramp is at the moment (
emacs-24.3\lis[\net ), and removal of the .elc (compiled?) files
enough by any chance? I don't have a POSIX system installed. Does
emacs recompile the .el files itself?

Alternatively, is it possible to just make your change of
tramp-drop-volume-letter, remove the elcs, and restart emacs?

Apologies for wanting to take shortcuts:-)