Re: tramp (2.2.12); Retrieve of links attributes with stat fail when lin

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.12); Retrieve of links attributes with stat fail when link contains two slashes.
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:01:55 +0200

Pierre Téchoueyres <address@hidden> writes:

>       Hello everybody,

Hi Pierre,

> I've made some tests with stat and sed and it seems that stat support the
> null
> character only with --printf switch. sed seems to catch null with \o0.
>
> For the fear of shell's handling of null char : the first problem is the stat
> program. Linux and BSD have differents options (and I don't know how it work
> on Solaris nor in HP*UX nor ...)
> So maybe the solution is to first check for the version of stat and use an
> alist of options for each ones (maybe a custom option) but that's a bigger
> work.

Well, this is too much hassle I fear. We DON'T know which shells, and
which broken implementations of them, are used remotely. So I rather
oppose such a patch.

What do you think about my other proposal, using `tramp-end-of-heredoc'
as marker?

>> > And your patch makes the Tramp test suite fail. Try
>> >
>> > # make check
> Sorry I should have do that first. But ... this won't work on my win7
> computer
> (I think it's a problem between msys and emacs).

Well, I have similar problems in the very rare case I'm testing under MS
Windows. For that, I use something like

> %HOMEPATH%\Desktop\emacs-25.0.50\bin\emacs.exe -Q -batch -L Y:\src\tramp\lisp
> -l Y:\src\tramp\test\tramp-tests.el -f ert-run-tests-batch-and-exit

And of course, you can always load tramp-tests.el into your Emacs
session, and run the tests by "M-x ert RET RET"