Re: Best practice for tracking current release?

From: Ben Hyde
Subject: Re: Best practice for tracking current release?
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 15:18:50 -0400

On 14 Sep 2015, at 10:59, Michael Albinus wrote:

"Ben Hyde" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ben,

Meanwhile, if el-get is setup you can ask it to do the classic song
and dance.

  M-x el-get-install
       and ask for tramp.

You may want to edit tramp’s el-get recipe (el-get/recipes/tramp.rcp)
to get a
stable release, if so add:

 :branch “V-2-2-12”

I don't use el-get. I've just installed it from melpa. If I apply
el-get-install, it doesn't accept tramp, likely due to a missing
recipe. I don't see a description how to get recipes; el-get seems to be
under-documented at all.

Or I miss something obvious.

- ben

Best regards, Michael.

I can reply quickly or carefully… so I’ll take quickly.

My init file has this form in it to set up el-get

(cond
 ((file-exists-p (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/el-get"))
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/el-get/el-get"))
  (require 'el-get))
 (t
  (url-retrieve
"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dimitri/el-get/master/el-get-install.el";
   (lambda (s)
     (goto-char (point-max))
     (eval-print-last-sexp)))))

which doesn’t look right to me … but I took the quick choice.

There is a comment in that file about how the install from melpa didn’t work for me because
the recipe I wanted (the one for pymacs) wasn’t included.

For me I didn’t install el-get until I encountered something essoteric that I was struggling with installing, that might have been pymacs … which I still haven’t got working to my satisfaction.

 - ben