Re: [Feature Request] Using Tramp to transparently edit files in zip/tar

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [Feature Request] Using Tramp to transparently edit files in zip/tarball/cpio/hddimage etc.
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 23:04:48 +0200

"Tim O'Callaghan" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

H Tim,

> I want to be able to keep a set of files in an encrypted archive file
> (such as a password protected zip) and work on them in emacs as if
> they were a remote filesystem. I thought of tramp as being the natural
> mechanism for this.
> If i take the concept further, being able to work with other password
> protected archive formats in the same way would also be great.

This idea has been expressed already. Stefan Monnier, the former Emacs
maintainer, said a while ago, that he would like to replace tar-mode by
something which uses the file handler approach.

One possibility would be to implement something like tramp-archive.el
from scratch.

Another alternative could be to use the support of the "archive" backend
in GVS. This would succeed with much less implementation effort, but
OTOH it would be usable only under GNU/Linux.