Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); Don't understand why prompt isn't recognized

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.2.13.25.1); Don't understand why prompt isn't recognized
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:39:07 +0200

Dave Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Dave,

>>> Tramp just spins its little bar when trying to connect to a nearby
>>> machine, and I can't tell why.
>>>
>>> [3. text/plain; tramp-buffer]
>>>
>>> Last login: Mon Oct 17 17:58:55 2016 from fe80::425:8609:c5f1:55a0%en3
>>>
>> ]1337;address@hidden;CurrentDir=/Users/dave]1337;ShellIntegrationVersion=3;shell=bash]133;C;]133;D;0]1337;address@hidden;CurrentDir=/Users/dave]133;AWingy:~
>>> dave$ ]133;BKilled by signal 15.
>>
>> This is a very strange prompt; Tramp is likely to be confused by
>> this.
>
> I didn't do anything explicit to set this prompt up, and I haven't
> changed the prompt on the remote machine.  However, I have noticed that
> ever since I upgraded to Emacs 25.1, I have seen similar very strange
> looking prompts even from local `M-x shell' invocations within
> emacs... although *that* doesn't seem to be reproducing now.

The strings above are proprietary escape code sequences from iTerm2, see
<https://www.iterm2.com/documentation-escape-codes.html>. Due to their
proprietary nature, Emacs doesn't handle them.

They don't seem to be part of the prompt (as I've suspected), but seem
to be sent from your remote host during login. This must be suppressed
at least on your remote host, and/or your local host.

>> Pls change the prompt on your remote machine, the Tramp manual gives
>> you some recipes.
>
> Some other weird thing is going on; when I connect to that machine from
> a terminal window, what I see looks very normal.
>
> Skree:~ dave$ ssh wingy.local
> Last login: Tue Oct 18 13:04:36 2016 from fe80::425:8609:c5f1:55a0%en3
> Wingy:~ dave$
> Wingy:~ dave$ logout
> Connection to wingy.local closed.
> Skree:~ dave$

Likely, the escape codes are parsed internally only.

> I don't see the recipes you're referring to in the TRAMP manual.  Do you
> have a more specific pointer?

The manual doesn't speak about iTerm2 in special. Well, likely you have
in your remote ~/.profile (or ~/.bash_profile, ~/.login, whatever) a
line like this:

test -e "${HOME}/.iterm2_shell_integration.bash" && source
"${HOME}/.iterm2_shell_integration.bash"

This must be suppressed. The Tramp Manual speaks about such techniques,
see (info "(tramp) Frequently Asked Questions")

Replace the line quoted above by something like

[ $TERM = "dumb" ] || \
test -e "${HOME}/.iterm2_shell_integration.bash" && \
source "${HOME}/.iterm2_shell_integration.bash"