Re: Tramp on Windows connects to Linux but not to OSX

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp on Windows connects to Linux but not to OSX
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2018 13:24:58 +0100

Schönes Wetter Schönes Gefühl <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Schönes Wetter Schönes Gefühl :-)

> Using Emacs-25.2.1 on Windows XP and 7, I try to connect to my Mac
> mini (OSX 10.7.4 Lion and 10.5.8 Leopard) using Tramp & plink method.
> After I enter the password, it hangs on with the "Found remote shell
> prompt..." message. The shell on OSX is plain old bash with no fancy
> decoration and the sshd is the default one at /usr/sbin. In both Macs,
> in addition to the default Terminal.app iTerm2 Terminal app is
> installed. If I try to connect to OSX using solely the plink on the
> CMD or MSYS shell, it connects flawlessly.

Well, reading the Tramp traces does not show too much,
unfortunately. But you made a point with iTerm2, see the Tramp manual,
chapter Frequently Asked Questions:

          A similar problem exist with the iTerm2 shell integration,
          which sends proprietary escape codes when starting a shell.
          This can be suppressed by changing the respective integration
          snippet in your ‘~/.profile’ like this:

               [ $TERM = "dumb" ] || \
               test -e "${HOME}/.iterm2_shell_integration.bash" && \
               source "${HOME}/.iterm2_shell_integration.bash"