Re: "Tramp failed to connect" to an ssh server (gpg as an ssh agent)

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: "Tramp failed to connect" to an ssh server (gpg as an ssh agent)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 08:50:21 +0200

Daniel Krajnik <krajnik.dan@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi

Hi Daniel,

> I'm wondering if anyone is able to use Tramp with a gpg smart card or
> a gpg agent that manages the ssh socket (so acts as an ssh agent)?
>
> For me it fails with file-error "Tramp failed to connect. If this
> happens repeatedly, try\n ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’"))"
>
> I tried tramp-cleanup-this-connection, but no, that didn't help.
>
> Tramp seems to work locally - I am able to "sudo-this-file" and enter
> pin to unlock sudo (it's managed by the smart card U2F pam module).
>
> Any suggestions how to approach debugging this would be very welcome.

My crystal ball tells me that the gpg smart card communicates with Tramp
with messages Tramp isn't aware of. So we need traces.

Could you please start

# emacs -Q -l tramp --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 6)'

Open the connection. There will be a debug buffer
*debug tramp/ssh 128.40.123.56#48273* which should tell us more.