traverso-devel

Re: Re: [Traverso-devel] Jmb GUI concept: how to proceed

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: Re: [Traverso-devel] Jmb GUI concept: how to proceed
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:21:47 +0200

> Right now <esc> is closing a window/dialog, and it seems logical the stuff
> you did in that windows/dialog won't go away by closing it!
> Actually, all editing actions you do right now, and with advanced "jmb
> enabled dialogs" it's the same, the editing will be applied directly!
> (And if implemented correctly, can be undone too)
>
> (It makes sense to be able to "discard" changes made after the dialog was
> opened, this would be implemented as "going back into history until the
> time the dialog was opened"
> This of course means that _any_ action which can be performed in the
> dialog must be undoable!)

I see what you mean, but frankly, pressing <esc> to close a dialog and accept
the changes just feels strange to me. Of course the JMB concept is a good
opportunity to break with old traditions, but nevertheless we should not ignore
the lable on the key, and I think <esc> is commonly accepted as 'close and
forget what I did'.

> So I thought, what about using the left  (or right, just pick the one
> which
> seems to work best) mouse button to toggle mouse movement sensitiveness!
> It's certainly not a new concept, and some mice have this as a seperate
> button
> and use a hardware based implementation.

Or how about using both buttons, one to accelerate mouse sensitivity, the other
to slow it down, like shifting gears.

> Historically, the mouse buttons were banned from use in JMB enabled
> applications.
> However, I think they can be of great use, and are certainly not mutual
> exclusive with the JMB concept!

I agree. They are there, and leaving them unused would be a waste of options.

Regards,
Nic