traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] recent traverso release

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] recent traverso release
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 13:48:06 +0200

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of the OS X/intel port, so maybe I can clarify some things.

> Just wanted to congratulate everbody on the nice release!
>
> On OSX you can get LV2 plugs to work by installing them globally in
> /usr/local/lib/

Thanks A LOT for pointing that out. I almost thought we had to live without
plugins on OS X for a while, as I had no idea where to start looking for the
bug. I'm relieved that there is a simple work-around.

> One thing though on traverso 0.42 and 0.49, that I don't understand:
>
> Setting the channel panning and volume with the mouse is *really* slow!
> Is this only on OS X?  I don't have linux or windwos to check on this.
> It takes like 30 seconds to adjust 6db of boost or cut.

These actions are indeed a lot slower on OS X than on Linux. In fact on Linux
they are super-smooth in my experience. I always thought it was the poor
painting performance of Qt, but then I realised that [G] + ScrollWheel is much
smoother than [G] + MouseMovement and that the painting, although being worse
than on linux, is not that slow either. I have an idea where to start looking
for the problem, but for now I can't help you there, sorry.

> Maybe slower.. it drags so much I don't even want to try and use it.
>
> Btw, i found some minor QT redraw glitch by hitting F11 several times
> (full screen mode)... But I really love this feature, so please don't drop
> it, the bug is minor...

Support for embedding icons in the title bar (which is standard on OS X) is
relatively new and somewhat unstable in Qt. I can disable it and create a new
binary. The only downside is that it looks less 'macish'. Alternatively, you
can try the following:

1. Open a Terminal from the Applications/Utilities folder.
2. Navigate to the location where Traverso is stored, e.g. "cd Desktop"
3. Start Traverso with the following command:
   "Traverso.app/Contents/MacOS/traverso -graphicssystem raster"

In that mode the traditional toolbars are used and your problem with fullscreen
should not occur. Plus the overall painting performance should be significantly
better. Please let me know if you see any improvement.

> I'll report more as I have time to use it.

I appreciate your help. In fact I hardly ever use the Mac port. I just happen
to own a Mac, but I'm running Linux on it most of the time. So I rely on user
feedback to find minor bugs.

Thanks again.
Nic

--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss
für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!*