traverso-devel

Re: [Traverso-devel] track gain automation

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] track gain automation
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:42:23 +0100

Hi,

> >> 1. track and subgroup gain automation (this is the biggie, for me)...
> >
> >'works' now in git, that is, compile and runtime tested, but there could
> > be a hidden bug somewhere. Except it's not shown to you in 'effects mode'
> > for now. this is due how plugins and their automation curves are shown.
> > We need to make it possible to just make one 'plugin curve' active at a
> > time, and make that one 'topmost' so you can edit it.
> >Suggestions on how to expose this to the user are much welcomed!
>
> although you may be looking for a more general paradigm.... here's an
>  initial idea:

Thanks, but I think it's better to go for the general paradigm to avoid
duplicating work. E.g. it shouldn't (me crosses fingers) be to hard to add pan
automation, and then your idea below no longer works, right?

> for gain, which already has [G] in both clip and track contexts, could we
>  just use a modifier with the [G] for automation curves in those contexts.
>  i see that ctrl-[G] and alt-[G] don't seem to be occupied. maybe ctrl-[G]
>  could activate the gain curve for clips and alt-[G] for tracks. that could
>  be for a specific clip or track -- you could switch individual clips or
>  tracks in/out of gain automation mode that way. F2 could still be a global
>  gain curve mode for all clips, and F3 (which is unused, right?) could send
>  all *tracks* into gain curve mode.
>

> >> 2. automatic clip crossfades
> >>
> >> building every crossfade by individually setting both the fade out and
> >> the fade in is quite tedious. there should be an option for automatic
> >> crossfades whenever clips are overlapped, or some other method for
> >> building crossfades more quickly.
> >
> >Maybe, just maybe, a 'create crossfade' command would be the easiest trick
> > to do.
>
> that would be a reasonable short-term goal.
>
> > .... long explanation snipped....
>
> thanks for the explanation! unfortunately, my coding skills are far too
>  basic to dive into that right now!

Hmm, well, maybe you're right, but in theory it's really no more then calling:

TimeRef crossFadeLength = clip1->get_track_end_location() - clip2-
>get_track_start_location();

clip1->get_fade_out()->set_length(crossFadeLengthHere);
clip2->get_fade_in()->set_length(crossFadeLengthHere);

of course, there are a bunch of corner cases to check for I think, but nothing
spectacular here :D

Greetings,

Remon