tsp-devel

[Tsp-devel] [RFC] Generating a BB from MIBS

From: Frederik Deweerdt
Subject: [Tsp-devel] [RFC] Generating a BB from MIBS
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:43:58 +0100

Hi,

I'm working on a MIB -> BB exporter that we plan to integrate to TSP
if you think it is interesting. The script we takes an SNMP MIB,
parses it, and we generate a black board containing all the variables
available in the MIB. An SNMP agent is then launched and the BB
variables are accessible via SNMP.
The proposed modus operandi is the following:
Step 1: The lib is executed, it registers a blackboard and a SNMP agent
Step 2: The programs willing to use those variables attach themselves
to the blackboard, subscribe to the variables and use the BB's message
API to register (and later receive) SNMP events.

We plan to provide an API to access to the black board variables
through setters and getters. There will be 4 versions of it:
- Simple setter/getter directly accesses the shared memory
- Locked setter/getter locks the BB before setting/getting the shared memory
- Event generating setter: sends an message to the programs that
registered a listener on a particular variable
- Locked event generating setter, see above :)

The script is written in Ruby (the anguage for fast, easy programming
;) ) and generates C. It's still under developpement. Any thoughts?

Frederik