tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] Symlink in opt directory

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] Symlink in opt directory
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:47:51 +0200

> I personally would prefer to let the rpm have the files /usr/lib,
> /usr/include/tsp, /usr/share/doc/tsp etc. instead of in /opt.
> Putting stuff in /opt requires extra settings in your environment,
> such as an extra entry in PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or extra -I flags
> when compiling something with TSP.

I'd go for the same solution, a few things remain to consider though:
        * we need: modif .spec.in + modif CMakeLists.txt

Ok for that.

        * if the installation is made in /usr/include/tsp:
                * we need to modify the all the current users with
                  something along the lines of  '<tsp/tsp_consumer.h>',
                  or add the extra flags back.

Yes that's right, unless we provide the -I/usr/include/tsp as CFLAGS,
or am I wrong?
I think we should:
  1) install headers in /usr/include/tsp/ directory
  2) recommand <tsp/xxxxx.h> usage
  3) provide -I/usr/include/tsp in CFLAGS through pkg-config
      in order to ease transition.

                * supply a tsp-config in /usr/bin (or use pkg-config),
                  that also supposes adding a for of extra flags

I would go for pkg-config and in fact there is a tsp/src/scripts/tsp.pc.in
which is processed by CMake and embedded in the current tsp rpm
as /usr/lib/pkgconfig/tsp.pc

so that:
  pkg-config --cflags tsp should already work.

                * supply a /usr/include/tsp.h entry point that will
                  include all needed headers (see fuse.h as an example)

yes I agree on this.

> Maybe some people want to be able to install multiple TSP versions
> alongside each other. That just means that those people have to spend
> some extra time in figuring out to make a relocatable rpm package. :-)
I agree, if you want to keep several versions you should be able to pass
the appropriate options to cmake.

OK you are right, forget about several TSP versions.

My initial idea of putting tsp in /opt/tsp was my understanding of FHS
(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/) nevertheless I'm OK for putting things
in usual /usr/lib, /usr/bin, /usr/include places.

--
Erk