tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] dtest: a distributed test framework

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] dtest: a distributed test framework
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:44:40 +0200

Hi All,

I think I manage to come-up with a second
dtest beta release : dtest-0.4 :))

Since the tarball is a bit heavier (I putted in third-party python
module for convenience)
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/tsp/dtest/dtest-0.4.tar.gz

If you are in a hurry,
1) tar zxvf dtest-0.4.tar.gz
2) read the beginning of: dtest-0.4/README.txt
3) then browse: dtest-0.4/dpcs/html/index.html

If you have more time keep reading...

I think this one should be usable for "real" test since:

- there is the session/transport vs DTester separation design modif
 as suggested by Fred. D.
 so that DTesters are now created like this:

 dtester_ssh =
dtest.DTester("dtester-ssh",session=dtest.SSHSessionHandler(user,host))

 after that you should still use the previously defined DTester methods:

 dtester_ssh.addRunStep("ok",True,"dtester ssh starts")
 dtester_ssh.addRunStep("runCommand",command=param['cmd']+"\n")
 dtester_ssh.addRunStep("expectFromCommand",param['cmd'])
 dtester_ssh.addRunStep("terminateCommand")
 dtester_ssh.addRunStep("waitCommandTermination")
 dtester_ssh.addRunStep("ok",True,"dtester ssh ends")

 but the dtester instance will ask its session 'low' level API in order to
 realize runCommand, expectFromCommand etc...

 there exits a default SessionHandler class from which each DTest
session handler
 should derive from. Each session handler may have different capability
 (command handling, file transfer) and should raise an exception if requested
 for an unhandled service.

 SessionHandler implements no service at all and SSHSessionHandler
 implements all.

 It may be useful to use SessionHandler if your test is "purely local"
 see dtest/tests/dtest-autotests for example

- there is a DTester.putFile and DTester.getFile which may be use
 to put/get file from DTestMaster site to/from DTester site.
 see dtest/tests/dtest-sshtest for example.

- documentation is coming
   * dest/README.txt
   * there is a beginning of API documentation using epydoc.
      see dtest/docs/html

- packaging is done using python distutils.

I think, I will open a new TSP project sub-project in CVS soon
just as dadi, dlock and others.

And then we (I hope I won't be alone) may be ready to implement
a full TSP autotests set with dtest :))

Volunteer [d]testers are welcomed.

--
Erk