tuxread-dev

[Tuxread-dev] Fwd: Against W3C Patent Policy (RAND)

From: Samuel Hart
Subject: [Tuxread-dev] Fwd: Against W3C Patent Policy (RAND)
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 18:34:02 -0700

Sorry to send this via our mailing lists, but there is a new proposed patent
policy in the W3C (the World Wide Web Consortium... the guys in charge of the
web standards) which will probably affect everyone on these lists ;-). You
can read about it here:
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-09-30-001-20-NW-CY

Basically, the gist of it is that they are considering a patent-policy which
will make the WWW a bit less Free (as in Freedom). The W3C could become very
much like the BSA, except this time auditting web-sites and the like and
imposing Fee-Based patents on web-standards (one example is the upcoming SVG,
Scalable Vector Graphics, format which shows great promise as an addition to
existing HTML).

Anyone against it (or even for it), should probably send comments to:
address@hidden

What follows is my letter sent to the above mailing list..,,