uisp-dev

Re: [Uisp-dev] Why two?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [Uisp-dev] Why two?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:49:35 GMT

> At 20:36 11/08/2003 +0000, E. Weddington wrote:
> >Greetings all!
> >
> >[Ted, sorry you're getting double posted. That's what you
> >get for being a member of both projects. :)]

[Ok sorry to *everybody* who is subscribed to both!]

> >I know the history of both avrdude and uisp (but less
so).

> >But now it begs the question: why have two AVR programmer
> >software projects, avrdude and uisp?
>
> Probably a question in the same boat as why KDE/GNOME,
why Linux/*BSD
> etc.  To the best of my knowledge uisp was around well
before avrdude and
> seems to work okay despite all the additions over the
years.  Personally I
> have no experience with avrdude so i'm not qualified to
comment pros and
> cons, might have a look at it over the weekend.

Counter-argument: Both GUIs and OSes involve many
subjective opinions as to features (e.g. usability,
approach, etc.). And the projects you named also are
supported by many more volunteers, that they can afford to
have competing projects. - With something like a command
line AVR programmer software, I wouln't think that there
would be a lot of subjectiveness about it (IMO YMMV). I
would also think that focusing efforts on to one project
only would certainly help it to become best-of-breed.

Eric

> If one of these 2 packages is a clear winner over the
other it might be an
> idea to consider focusing on just one, and wind up the
other with a final