users-prolog

Build fail on 64 bit Ubuntu

From: emacstheviking
Subject: Build fail on 64 bit Ubuntu
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 22:16:35 +0000

Hi,

The repo version is 1.3 so I decided to download and build from source as I have done many times on OSX... however, I get this error at the end of the process, showing one line only for brevity:

/usr/bin/ld: /home/sean/Downloads/gprolog-code/src/BipsPl/all_pl_bips.o: relocation R_X86_64_32S against `.text' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

I tried re-running configure as:

    $ ./configure CFLAGS=-fPIC but it did not apear in the build

So I edited the CCFLAGS line in BipsPl/Makefile to be

CFLAGS               = -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC

And rebuilt... this time the -fPIC option was present in the calls to gplc however it still made no difference. I also manually entered a value of -fPIC for GPLCFLAGS as well in the same makefile. Again, it showed in the build but the link error persists?

How do I solve this please anybody? I am going to install the repo version for now but I don't like not having the latest version. Presumably the repo version is 64 bit but I have not looked yet.

Thanks.
Sean.