vfs-licencing

[Vfs-licencing] Fwd: Re: [gnu.org #31845] Derived from the GNU Version

From: Hans van Buitenen
Subject: [Vfs-licencing] Fwd: Re: [gnu.org #31845] Derived from the GNU Version 2 License
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:46:41 +0200

----------  Forwarded message  ----------

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:16:34 -0400
From: "FSF General Contact Address via RT" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 06:32:35PM -0400, Hans van Buitenen via RT wrote:
> The license is called the Non Commercial Software License and what i
> intend is the following:
>  - Guarantee free software for free os'es (just like GNU).
>  - Make sure free os development is not behind on commercial os
> development (unlike GNU)
>  - Allow charging money on commercial os versions (Unlike GNU !)

Dear Hans,

I am very sorry for the late response to this message.  Since we are a
non-profit with very limited resources, messages to this address often get
backlogged, and we are always struggling to catch up.

Before I address the license draft, I would like to point out that the GNU
General Public License does not prohibit charging money for any
distribution of the software, even for distribution of Free Software on
proprietary operating systems.  The only time that the GNU GPL limits what
you may charge is when a distributor chooses to provide source by written
offer, as permitted in 3(b); then, they can only charge the cost of
distribution for that source.  (Note that they can charge any amount when
distributing the binaries beforehand.)

That said, we have a number of concerns with your license.  Many of the
sections are loosely worded, and it can be difficult to tell what the exact
conditions are.  In addition, some of the terms may not be enforceable, or
have undesired consequences.  For example, when you restrict the
development of programs on non-free systems, how is "better" defined?  And
how are free programs available only on proprietary systems impacted?  This
distinction seems undesireable.

I encourage you to browse our list of free licenses
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html) and see if one meets your
particular needs.  As we hold copyright on the GNU GPL, and do not allow
people to create modified versions, you need our express permission to do
so.

Best regards,

--
Brett Smith, Free Software Foundation