viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Announcement: 8.2.0a (alpha testing) release

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: [VM] Announcement: 8.2.0a (alpha testing) release
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 20:02:57 +0200

>> I downloaded vm-8.2.0a.tgz and untarred it without issue, but the
>> directory vm-8.2.0a and everything in it were owned by 1004:513.
>> After fixing that I discovered that the configure file could not be
>> executed. I solved that by using "sh ~/configure".

> I have no idea why any of these should happen. I just downloaded it
> and did a build on a CentOS machine, and it didn't run into any of
> these problems. I can't do `make install' to system directories on
> this departmental machine. But using my home directory as the
> `--prefix' option, everything got installed fine. I am attaching the
> output from `make install' below.

> Perhaps, other Linux users on the list can share their experience?
> Ulrich, are you online?

The files in the tarball are owned by udr/None, or 1004/513 as
numbers. I don't see why this would be a problem. It's very common
that release tarballs are created from a normal user account. (And
that's why one should specify tar's option -o when unpacking.)

However, I'm more concerned about the file mode bits: Almost all files
in the tarball have mode 0777, i.e. are executable and world-writable.
This wasn't the case for the 8.1.1 release.

Cheers,
Ulrich