viewmail-info

Re: [VM] spam in vm

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] spam in vm
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:00:13 -0000

On 4/25/2011 8:32 AM, Salome Södergran wrote:

I haven't yet come to understand how vm handles spam. By which
criteria, if any, does vm consider messages to be spam and what does
it by default do with such messages? Is there a way to make vm learn
about messages that I consider to be spam as does Thunderbird's junk-
protocol?

I don't yet use VM for spam handling. So, I will defer this question to others that use VM's spam handling facilities. To get you off the ground, there are two separate issues in spam handling:

1. Spam scoring. VM doesn't have any in-built facilities for spam scoring. People use a variety of external programs, bogofilter, spamassasin etc. Often ISP's run spam filtering tools before the messages are delivered (which is the case with me). These programs are supposed to add a spam-score header to the mail messages.

2. Spam sorting. The traditional method is to define a virtual folder called "spam", based on the spam-score headers as well as other criteria that you might need. Then use the vm-avirtual package to either delete the "spam" messages or to file them separately. (Unfortunately, the vm-avirtual package isn't well-documented in the manual. But I think it is not too hard to figure out. Defining the "spam" virtual folder is the main work. You can consult the VM FAQ

  http://www.wonderworks.com/vm/vm-faq-10.html

for examples.)

Cheers,
Uday