viewmail-info

Re: [VM] trash

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] trash
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:00:08 -0000

On 4/14/2011 8:53 AM, salome wrote:

I understand that this is not the preferred concept in VM but I still
haven't found out what a good workflow would look like for handling e-
mails that are not important enough to save to a subject-specific
folder but which I still might want to read again after some time. How
do other VM-users handle the situation?

I think most of us leave the unimportant messages in the INBOX and clean it up periodically

Of course I could imitate my former TB-workflow by saving all those e-
mails to a local trash-folder. This would be easy if I knew how to
create a keybinding for saving to a /specific/ folder -- but I don't.
What would the code have to look like?

Actually, `s' (vm-save-message) does this job pretty well. You have to type in the Trash folder name the first time. But, later within the session, VM will reuse that folder as the default place to save a message.

If you are using IMAP, you can save to a Trash folder on the IMAP server in pretty much the same way. Use `vm-save-message-to-imap-folder' instead of `vm-save-message', and specify the folder in the format imap-account-name:Trash.

If you do want to create a new key binding, then bind it to a new function defined by something like this:

(defvar vm-trash-folder "~/Mail/Trash") ; or a filename of your choice

(defun vm-save-message-to-trash ()
    (interactive)
    (vm-save-message vm-trash-folder))

Cheers,