viewmail-info

[VM] Unreadable VM-mail folders

From: Dr. Rainer Woitok
Subject: [VM] Unreadable VM-mail folders
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 12:03:25 +0100

Greetings,

does anybody have some pointers regarding the following problem?

Environment: 1: vm 7.17 with XEmacs 21.4.19 on Solaris
             2: vm 7.17 with XEmacs 21.4.22 under Cygwin on Vista

Problem: On the Solaris host I maintain  a bunch of VM-mail folders, and
"vm"  doesn't  have any  problems  displaying  them.   However,  when  I
transfer some of these folders  to my Vista  laptop using, for instance,
Mercurial, that is, without converting "\n" to "\r\n", "vm" under Cygwin
sees fewer mails in some of these folders, while XEmacs doesn't have any
problems to open these files and  read them in their entirety.  At least
in  some cases the  last  mail  displayed  by Cygwin's "vm"  was  a MIME
message with a  multi-part  body, but I  don't  know if this is  of  any
significance.

However, when I hit "D"  twice while displaying  the last message in the
"vm" under Cygwin,  I can see that  all the remaining  mails are in fact
catenated to this last mail, with the "From " line normally starting the
next mail immediately  following the  last line of the preceeding  mail.
And if I manually prepend the offending  "From " with another "\n", "vm"
under Cygwin will see some more mails in the folder.

Questions: 1: What is separating two mails  in a version 7.17 VM-folder,
              "\nFrom ", "\n\nFrom ",  or what?   Which "vm"  is  right,
              which one  is wrong?   I  mean, does  the "vm" on  Solaris
              create illegal folders, or is the "vm" on Cygwin unable to
              read at least some legal folder formats?

           2: What can  I do  about it?   Are  there  any  configuration
              variables which affect  this  behaviour (by the way,  both
              "vm"-s are using identical ".vm" configuration files)?

Any pointers would be heartily appreciated.

Sincerely
 Rainer

PS: Please reply to my private e-mail address,  as I'm not subscribed to
this list.

| Rainer M Woitok                  | Phone: (+49-9131) 85-27811,-27031 |
| Regionales Rechenzentrum         | Fax  : (+49-9131) 30 29 41        |
| Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet |                                   |
| Martens-Strasse 1                | Mail: address@hidden |
| D-91058 Erlangen                 |                                   |
| Germany                          | N49 34.435 E011 01.641 (WGS 84)   |