viewmail-info

Re: [VM] VM / stunnel4 / STARTTLS documentation

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] VM / stunnel4 / STARTTLS documentation
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 19:30:06 +0000

Matthew Vernon writes:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if the documentation could be enhanced a little? I spent quite
> some time figuring this out, and a quick note in the docs would have
> saved me some pain.

Sorry, we can't put it in the docs.  The VM manual can only describe VM, not
how to configure stunnel, which is an independent program.

On the other hand, this kind of stuff can go on EmacsWiki, and anybody can
put things in there.

> Essentially, if your IMAP server does STARTTLS on port 143, you have to
> tell stunnel to do this, otherwise nothing works (it quits returning 0,
> and VM says there's an IMAP problem). This is readily achieved by
> creating a little file containing the single line:
> protocol = imap
> and setting vm-stunnel-program-additional-configuration-file
> appropriately.

What I can do is add mention of the stunnel additional-configuration-file
variable in the manual, which should have been there in the first place.  On
the other hand, I don't know what else to say there other than to summarise
the doc string.  (Actually, I see that the doc string is self-contradictory
too. Sigh..)  If somebody can contribute some text that I can put in the
manual, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
Uday