viewmail-info

Re: [VM] [Launchpad Question #108267]: stunnel on Windows

From: Alan Wehmann
Subject: Re: [VM] [Launchpad Question #108267]: stunnel on Windows
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:10:20 -0500

Hi Uday,

Life used to be simple.  Like when we had a few major television
networks and not a proliferation of hundreds of cable channels.

I used to go to Google and read gnu.emacs.help, comp.emacs,
gnu.emacs.vm.info and perhaps gnu.emacs.sources & comp.emacs.xemacs.
In those places I would find like-minded people and high quality
discussion--for the most part.  Pre-dating Google groups, it was
Dejanews and before that it was actual newsfeeds, stored locally for
one's perusal (I was a Gnus user then).  Now we have a proliferation
of discussion sites across the internet--similar to the proliferation
of cable television channels.

A person can try to stick to a few places with relevant and reasonable
quality content for the subject of interest & beyond that it is a
matter of trusting to the best-choice Internet search engine.

In the summer you recommended to VM users a move from Google group
gnu.emacs.vm.info to gmane.emacs.viewmail
(https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/viewmail-info).  Now you
are bringing Stackoverflow into the mix.  Are you recommending a move
from gmane.emacs.viewmail (address@hidden) to Stackoverflow?
It is now not clear to me what you would recommend go to
gmane.emacs.viewmail (address@hidden) and what you would
recommend go to Stackoverflow.

http://www.nongnu.org/viewmail/ says:

"The News groups gnu.emacs.vm.info and gnu.emacs.vm.bug are deprecated
and posting to them is not advisable. Please use the viewmail-info
mailing list for general discussion and the launchpad tracker for bug
reports instead."

What will that read like in the future, after including Stackoverflow
in the mix?

Cheers,
Alan

--