viewmail-info

[VM] sending email with ssl to Verizon server

From: Alan Wehmann
Subject: [VM] sending email with ssl to Verizon server
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:14:59 -0500

I earlier wrote that I would provide more detail on using gnutls-cli (from
cygwin) with Emacs 24.2 on my Windows XP Home laptop.
I now provide more detail.

The following are copied from my customization file:

 '(mail-default-reply-to "address@hidden" nil (sendmail) "use Gmail")
 '(mail-from-style (quote angles))
 '(mail-interactive t)
 '(mail-self-blind (expand-file-name "~/mail_rmail/XMAIL_sent_mail") nil
(sendmail))
 '(mail-signature t)
 '(mail-signature-file "c:/cygwin/home/.gmail_signature" nil (sendmail) "use
Gmail")
 '(mail-user-agent (quote vm-user-agent))
 '(pop3-stream-type (quote ssl))
 '(query-user-mail-address nil)
 '(send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))
 '(smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.googlemail.com" nil nil "use Gmail")
 '(smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
 '(smtpmail-stream-type (quote ssl))
 '(tls-program (quote ("gnutls-cli --x509cafile /usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
--insecure -p %p %h")))

In this example I am using the smtp server "smtp.googlemail.com" (there is
another, "smtp.gmail.com", which uses a different port on the same server).

Info node "(smtpmail) Authentication describes the use of the ~/.authinfo file
to do the necessary authentication.

As a test I invoked the following in my Emacs shell buffer (which is using bash
from Cygwin to interpret commands):

gnutls-cli --x509cafile /usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt --insecure -p 465
smtp.verizon.net

This specifies a location for a file with CA certificates.  I created the
Certificate Authority cert file from the Mozilla cert bundle, using the advice
given in

But I'm still using the --insecure option on the gnutls-cli command, so the
checking on the server certificate is not necessary (I should be able to remove
that option and thus insist that the server is valid).

After invoking the gnutls-cli command in the shell buffer, there is some output
about the certificates and the TLS handshake takes place and the server
identifies itself.  I can then type "EHLO DELLLAPTOP" and the POP server will
give me some status codes.  One of these assures me that the authentication
done by Emacs will work (this isn't true for the smtp server email.fnal.gov, at
the lab where I used to work).

I wasn't interested in doing anything further, so I gave the command "QUIT" to
the POP server at this point.

I can initiate writing email with the command "compose-mail", or I can use the
methods specified in info node "(vm) Sending Messages".

--
Alan Wehmann
address@hidden