viewmail-info

Re: [VM] bug in mime encoding of cached data

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] bug in mime encoding of cached data
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 20:48:29 +0000

Julian Bradfield writes:

> When I get mail From: non-ASCII names, whenever the inbox is
> auto-saved, I get errors about invalid encodings; and when I save and
> re-visit the folder, the non-ASCII has been replaced by ~ .

That is bad.  I don't have problems like this on Gnu Emacs.  So, something
must be breaking for XEmacs.

I do get a somewhat related problem that MIMEd subject fields of summary
lines lose all the white space when saved to disk.

> This is because when the folder is saved, the cached message data is
> written out to the X-vm-v5-data header, with non-ASCII data being
> mime-encoded. However, vm-mime-encode-words relies on
>
> (defcustom vm-mime-encode-headers-words-regexp  ...)

That is not how it works actually.  See the VM Manual, Internals, Message
Internals (Sec 27.2) under Cached Data.  The strings in the cached-data
vector have text properties that say what encoding, if any, should be used
to convert them to MIMEd ASCII.  The function

  vm-reencode-mime-encoded-words-in-string (vm-mime.el)

does the job of converting.  I see that this function has been there since
Rob F inherited VM from Kyle Jones.  However, there were some bugs in
applying this correctly to the cached-data vector when I inherited VM.  I
fixed them quite some time ago and the fixes should be certainly there in
the trunk version.

If you can send me a message that has the cached-data line corrupted, I will
see what could be going wrong.

Cheers,
Uday