viewmail-info

[VM] Problem with VM on Aquamacs 3.2 and 3.3dev

From: Göran Uddeborg
Subject: [VM] Problem with VM on Aquamacs 3.2 and 3.3dev
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 14:46:56 +0200

Piet van Oostrum:
> However, I now have an annoying problem with VM. With the new
> Aquamacs version, when I read an HMTL email (usually multipart/mixed),
> the cursor jumps to the end of the message rather than to the beginning.
> This only happens when I work from the VM Summary buffer (using the next
> and previous keys n and p). When I work from the VM Presentation buffer
> it works as desired.

Thanks for digging into this, and suggesting a solution.  The behviour
has irritated me too, but not enough for me to investigate.  Until I
read your mail.  (And a few weeks more had passed. :-))

I looked a bit into the possibility of catching the other cases too,
and run across a hook, vm-select-message-hook, that seemed to fit the
purpose.  So what I have arrived to now is this quite simple code

(add-hook 'vm-select-message-hook
          (lambda () (save-selected-window (vm-beginning-of-message))))

It appears to work as far as I can tell.  It does also work for the
case when you move around in the summary buffer and hitting SPACE.

In case it matters, I'm using GNU Emacs 25.0.94.1 on Fedora Linux.

Fixing the underlying problem would of course be even better.