Re: [vile] using the command line history for search

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] using the command line history for search
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:51:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 May 2006, ric wrote:

Something I never have figured out how to do. When you set up a search, e.g.. "/mysearch", how do you access the search history (is there one?), to be edit. I was hoping for something like that found for e:, where the arrows allows going through the history and editing. This is the one thing in vile that has always gotten in my way. I have search the help and archives without finding any references.

vile collects the parts of :-commands (and most of the commands such as '/' that prompt for input) in [History]. Inside a prompt, if you press
an up/down arrow (or one of the keys such as ^N/^P that are bound to the
same motion), vile searches along [History], matching the part of the
line against the previous parts (such as "/"), and shows the remainder.
So if I pressed

        /xxx
        /yyy^N

then it should show

        /xxx

Usually (not always) that works well.  I'm not happy with the way it
doesn't handle ranges such as

        :1,2p

--
Thomas E. Dickey