Re: [vile] Just a thought - can one use vileget across a network?

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Just a thought - can one use vileget across a network?
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:46:29 +0100

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:36:12AM -0700, J. Chris Coppick wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Chris G wrote:
> >
> >> Just a thought regarding my vile/perl/solaris problems.
> >>
> >> Would it be possible to use vileget (and the associated bits) across a
> >> network connection?  I.e. can I run xvile on my Fedora box here and
> >> fire filenames at it from the Solaris boxes?  I'm pretty sure the
> >> Fedora box can see all the filesystems that the Solaris boxes can so
> >> the files are available.
> >
> > Reading the script, it does sound as if that would work - it reads the
> > connection information from an environment variable for $HOME/.vilesock
> >
> > (perhaps the connection is in some readable/standard form - I'm not home
> > right now to see what that might be)
> >

> Haven't looked at this in forever, so I had to check the source myself.  It
> uses a UNIX socket, i.e. local, so no you can't point vileget at a different
> host.  I suppose you could come up with an ssh command to launch vileget on
> the remote host.

Yes, while I was going home the ssh approach occurred to me, it's easy
enough to set up an ssh passwordless login between the two systems so
I think that might well be a reasonable approach.

> You could hack Vileserv.pm to use inet sockets instead, but of course that
> would raise *security* issues which at the time I preferred not to address.

I think the ssh approach is the most likely to work and the one
I'm most likely to be able to implement in a finite amount of time.

--
Chris Green