Re: [vile] Build error, vile 9.5o on Linux

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [vile] Build error, vile 9.5o on Linux
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:28:42 -0500

Chris G <address@hidden> wrote:

> My hosting provider is moving our shell accounts from a FreeBSD system
> to a Linux system.
>
> I can't get vile to build on the Linux system.  A default ./configure
> and then make results in:-
>
>     gcc -g -O2   -o vile-tags-filt tagsfilt.o filterio.o filters.o
>     echo "#include <flt_defs.h>" > ada-filt.c
>     : -t ada-filt.l >> ada-filt.c

i've had something like this happen before -- you didn't start with
a previous version of config.cache or something?

i just tried uninstalling flex and reconfiguring, and the error
was similar:  "checking if :  is really flex" or something like
that.  so the ':' is a placeholder being left around by the
configure script.  i'm sure you'll find a "LEX = :" line near
the top of filters/makefile, and i suspect it gets there because
there's a test in configure (in mine, near line 3206) which says:
    test -n "$LEX" || LEX=":"

this looks like it's going to let configure succeed with LEX equal
to ":".

after that, the maze of passages gets very twisty, and my lantern
starts to dim.

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 22.5 degrees)