Re: [vile] Making UTF-8 default

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Making UTF-8 default
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:26:03 +0000

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:39:15AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:

>> As it is if I hit the GB pound key I get an invalid utf-8 character
>> although vile displays it correctly but if I  'cat' the resulting file
>> it displays as inverse video ?.  I can only enter valid pound signs
>> by the clumsy ^VuA3 sequence.
>
> I know that (my) xterm delivers UTF-8 for the keycodes in utf-8 mode.
> Other terminals differ.  iirc, you're using rxvt.  The rxvt-unicode
> flavor is supposed to work (though I've only tested its display output,
> not the input).

Sorry, my last reply was off list.

Anyway, I'm now trying vile 9.6i from a gnome-terminal window with the
character set explicitly set to utf-8.  If I edit a file with vi and
enter pound signs it doesn't work correctly:-

    Each time I enter a pound sign a pound is echoed followed by three
    spaces, after a while the editor gets very confused.

    If I save the file and look at the contents using 'od -tx1 <file>'
    I see 0000000 a3 a3 a3 a3 a3 a3 a3 a3 a3 0a which is wrong, those
    are iso-8859-1 pound signs.

    If I simply do 'cat >pounds' and enter some pound signs at the
    same terminal I see 0000000 c2 a3 c2 a3 c2 a3 c2 a3 c2 a3 c2 a3
    which is correct.

So something is awry.  When I get home I'll try there as well but I
don't really see what's different (though I can try without it going
through ssh).

--
Chris Green