Re: [vile] Disappearing quotes in macro parameters

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Disappearing quotes in macro parameters
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 07:23:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, J?~Anis R??cis wrote:

Generally, whenever a value begins with a quote, it's handled in a
strange way.

yes - quotes in vile are not as nice as I'd like.

This might help - at least to focus discussion:

"Anything" that would prompt from a string will do that either directly from the keyboard, or by calling a function that takes the next token from a buffer containing possibly more than one token. For consistency, that token's quotes are removed, and the commands which read (via kbd_reply, etc), do not expect quotes.

In your example, the quotes are removed to deliver the parameters to the low-level commands (which do not expect quotes). vile stores data in [History] with quotes (as needed...), and reconstructs/dequotes values that it retrieves from [History] as part of a prompt. The expression-evaluation can read quoted strings, but also assumes that its output will be acceptable to the commands, which do not expect quotes.

With all of that, there're occasional inconsistencies (bugs). I don't _see_ any obvious ones in your example.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net