Re: [vile] Invoking vile on non-existent files

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Invoking vile on non-existent files
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:57:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Paul Fox wrote:

thomas wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Decklin Foster wrote:
>
> > I just noticed something odd:
> >
> > $ mkdir foo bar
> > $ vile foo/file bar/file
> >
> > vile comes up with one buffer, named file, for ./bar/file. This only
> > happens if the not-yet-created files have the same name. I can also
> > reproduce this behavior by starting vile and then loading foo/file and
> > bar/file with :e (the first buffer gets obliterated).

the latter behavior -- loading them from within the editor -- is
entirely expected.  vile assumes that if you move away from an
empty, unmodified buffer that represents a non-existent file,
that you made a typo, and that you probably don't want that
buffer.  e.g., if you typed "vile mkaefile", and then ":e
makefile", then by design it will discard the buffer called
"mkaefile".

agree (though it would be nice if it didn't discard a file named on the
command-line).

i suspect the two argument case may be related, but is arguably incorrect.
you should at least get to visit the buffer before it's discarded.

;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net