Re: [vile] UTF-8/Latin9 problems

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] UTF-8/Latin9 problems
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:53:49 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

Hello Thomas,

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 07:36:54PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 05:29:28PM +0100, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
So, I haven't tracked Vile's updates for a while.  I have updated my
9.6m install to 9.7j, but now, if I enter <compose>,",e to produce
e-umlaut, but it produces \?EB, the latin1 varient of this character.
My input charset is set to UTF-8, my LC_CTYPE is nl_NL.UTF-8 and
file-encoding (or $buf-encoding) is set to UTF-8.
Is this a regression?  Or did things change?

It's a regression - I just narrowed it down to one of the fixes for 9.7i,
as part of this item: [...]

Is there a patch I can extract somewhere.  Because I frequently need
to type accented-e's and I got used to this working in vile. ;)

It's the small change to insert.c in

        ftp://invisible-island.net/temp/vile-9.7j8.patch.gz

I revisited the report where I made that change, was not able to see that
this chunk was needed.

Most of the patch deals with wide-characters in
regular expressions - partly working but incomplete for things like

        /x\{2,3\}

I've been fixing xterm for the past week or so, intending to go back
to this patch and finish it "soon".

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net