Re: [vile] vile-9.7[stu] gets stuck "working..."

From: Gary Jennejohn
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.7[stu] gets stuck "working..."
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:04:32 +0100

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:15:56 -0400 (EDT)
Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Ramil Farkhshatov wrote:

> >> not directly (to me).  I don't have the same platform.  (I've tested
> >> mostly 32-bit platforms, but have tested 64-bit Solaris - which
> >> would
> >> still be different).
> >
> > As far as I could investigate issue is in ldel_bytes. But if I add
> > fprintf(stderr, ";; nbytes: %u\n", nbytes);
> > just after `while` issue disappears. Asm listings of line.s with
> > fprintf and without differs heavily. I'm not good at x86_64
> > assembler though to make any conclusions. Can it be a compiler bug?
> > Forgot to mention that I'm using gcc-4.4.1.
>
> It's possible that it's a compiler bug, but I usually assume the problem's
> in my own code.
>
> I'm suspecting that there's some sign-extension or similar bug that's not
> apparent, e.g., if I mixed types that are 32-bit and 64-bit at the wrong
> place.  ldel_bytes does some tweaking between signed/unsigned types, and
> they seem to be long/unsigned long (should not be a problem).
>
> (I've been thinking for a while about adding another computer at home, but
> time and space are limited ;-).

Just as a data point - I'm running vile-9.7t (I know, a different version)
on FreeBSD AMD64 and haven't observed any problems, but then again, I'm
not using any special flags to the compiler, or even the same version of gcc
(FreeBSD still uses 4.2.1).

I don't know whether the code in question has changed between 9.7t and
9.7u.

Guess it's time to update to the most recent version and see what happens.

---
Gary Jennejohn