Re: [vile] Accented characters (or not) in 9.7x

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Accented characters (or not) in 9.7x
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:21:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Chris G wrote:

Having got my vile 9.7x installed and mostly working I just tried to
send an E-Mail in French.  Accented characters no longer work as they
did.

When I enter an accented character, either with the vile compose key
or with the X compose key it results in a very odd sequence of
characters being displayed. For example when I enter an e with an
acute accent I see (in vile):-

   M-CM-)

thinking about it....

The "M-" sounds like (Solaris) curses. There are two flavors of that; the default one doesn't support UTF-8 and the other in /usr/xpg4 is somewhat usable, for vile, at any rate: the Solaris getch was broken quite a while ago due to improper ifdef'ing of things related to timeouts (vile's not using it, but almost all curses apps do). There might be some workable version in the interminable series of updates past Solaris 10.

I did check Solaris a while ago, and recalled that it worked with the xpg4
library (though the handling of color was unsatisfactory).  ncursesw (wide
flavor) at hand seems to handle data as I'd expect.

To get the configure script to pick out the xpg4 flavor on Solaris, I preset the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS environment variables, e.g.,

#!/bin/sh
# for configuring to use Solaris' X/Open curses
TOP=/usr/xpg4

CPPFLAGS="-I$TOP/include -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED"
LDFLAGS="-R$TOP/lib -L$TOP/lib"
LIBS="-lcurses"

export CPPFLAGS
export LDFLAGS