Re: [vile] default colors in 9.7y

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] default colors in 9.7y
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 11:41:23 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Chris G wrote:

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 01:58:58PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, Chris G wrote:

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 12:55:55PM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
I just updated the vile/xvile ports under FreeBSD to 9.7y.

I must say that the new default colors really suck if you're not
using a black background - apparently the default for uxvile.

I generally use cornsilk2 and most of the highlighting is unreadable
with a light background :(

The default colours never worked too well on a light background, are
they even worse now?

I think maybe there should be *two* sets of defaults because there
will always be those who want to work in 'black' windows and those who
want to work in 'white' ones.  It's a bit like vi/emacs wars!  :-)

For that sort of thing, there's the color-schemes.  But color-schemes
basically assume that the default text/background colors are distinct.

I'm lost!  :-)

I was trying to say that *no* colour scheme is going to work well on
both a dark background and a light background.  My suggestion was that
maybe two color-schemes should be available with the standard [x]vile
build, one for dark/black background and the other for light/white
background.  You could choose with configure maybe.

OK, once up and running one can fine tune the color-scheme but it's
useful to have somewhere to start from.

In palettes.rc, I defined 6 color schemes (rearrangements of the existing
colors, so that for instance vile can show blue on a light background when
the syntax filter asks for yellow).  (Aside from occasionally seeing that
the naming scheme isn't that intuitive, it works well enough ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net