Re: [vile] how can I learn more about viles 'hypertext' feature?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] how can I learn more about viles 'hypertext' feature?
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 15:51:53 -0500

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 09:20:38PM +0100, ben wrote:
> thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately I can not see how which.rc is
> helpful. Apparently '&token' is checked for the string 'hypertext' and
> thats all I can see. But my question is more fundamental.
>
> - how is hypertext 'produced'? Is it something that can be written in
> file, or does it exists only in viles buffer?

It's handled in vile by interpreting control sequences
There are a couple of sections in the help-file that discusses the control
sequences:

  Attribute control sequences (ACS)
  Writing your own filters
  Hypertext

in particular this comment:

   The <command> for hypertext commands may be any sequence of characters
   except for newlines and null characters. A null character must terminate
   the hypertext command. The command should be a valid vile command such as
   you might enter into your .vilerc file.

> - how is written? What are the control sequences, that vile recognize
> as a hypertext command.
>
> As a summary of these two questions: Is it possible to write hypertext
> source to be interpreted by vile, similar of what a html file is to a
> web browser?

It's not an html file (though with some work, one could write a filter
say for lynx that would produce a file that could be read into vile and
act like that).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net