Re: [vile] Fonts-Lucida typewriter?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Fonts-Lucida typewriter?
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 05:14:16 -0500

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 09:09:20AM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> Since we're talking about fonts...
>
> I have WinVile installed at home (Vista) and at my customer's site
> (Windows 7 Pro) and when I try to set the font WinVile finds a whole
> slew of them under Vista but only about 6 at the customer's site.  I
> know that many more fonts are installed under W7 Pro.

I think the difference is due not to the operating system but whether
Office (Microsoft Word) is installed.

I have a VM with Windows 7 Professional, and it's pretty minimal regarding
fonts, while my older (desktop machine) Windows XP with Office 2003 has the
wide-character fonts such as you might see for the checklist example here:
        http://invisible-island.net/dialog/dialog-figures.html

On the other hand, in my newer Windows XP machine (a VM that I've setup
a couple of months ago), I did make a point to install the international fonts
- which I recall as hard to do "later".  That's a few dozen fonts (including
NSimSun, MS Gothic, Simplified Arabic).  But it doesn't include the Arial
and other nice variants found with Word.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net