Re: [vile] What do I need to do to get £ sign (GBP , pound sterling) to

From: Brendan O'Dea
Subject: Re: [vile] What do I need to do to get £ sign (GBP , pound sterling) to display in vile?
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 11:19:40 -0700

On 8 May 2014 04:07, Chris Green <address@hidden> wrote:
> I guess I must have left out a compilation option (or something) when
> I built vile, I'm seeing '\u00A3' when I type £ (GBP pound sign).
> I.e. my UTF8 setting has gon awry somewhere.
>
> The GBP sign is actually entered correctly and displays OK when I cat
> the file in a terminal etc.  It's also working correctyl in xvile.

The fact that it is displaying as \u00A3 and not \xC2\x83 says that
vile is built to handle unicode, and is correctly recognising the
file's encoding as utf-8 ($buf-encoding), but is unable to display it.
What is $term-encoding? Which screen did you configure with? tcap,
curses? ncurses?

For the record, this works for vile 9.8m for me on a Ubuntu machine
compiled with the default screen type of "tcap".