Re: [vile] Case insensitive filename completion?

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [vile] Case insensitive filename completion?
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 20:41:50 -0500

thomas wrote:
 > On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 08:21:07AM -0800, Marc Simpson wrote:
 > > Am I overlooking a flag to control case sensitivity in filename
 > > completion? Ideally, I'd like to enter
 > >
 > >   :e rea^I
 > >
 > > and have vile expand this to
 > >
 > >   :e README
 > >
 > > I find such behaviour convenient in my shell (bash) where
 > > completion-ignore-case is turned on.
 >
 > There's no ignore-case for filename completion because vile uses the
 > buffer containing the actual filenames to match against.  It works by
 > scanning the directory when you first start name-completion, caching
 > the result until a different directory is needed.
 >
 > To get ignore-case, we could build a derived buffer of lowercased
 > pathnames, but that would be sorted and built at the same time -
 > a little slow.

hardly slow in real-time terms these days, but it's the principle,
right?  :-)  but really, i'm more on the side of "ignore-case is for
sissies".  ;-)

(just kidding, obviously.  i actually want my editor to be case-sensitive,
but i thoroughly appreciate that 'less' is not.)

(actually, i think there was a time when i though completion was for
sissies too.  until tom implemented it.)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 27.7 degrees)