Re: [vile] Extended regexp

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Extended regexp
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 20:59:35 -0400

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:58:23AM -0700, Marc Simpson wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:06 AM, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I know it looks awkward, but
> >
> > (a) vile supports EREs anyway (with some possible application differences
> > regarding which characters should be escaped), and
> > (b) I didn't see a nice keyword that would capture just the change to
> > escaping...
>
> Mind clarifying the issue with `extended'?  Too overloaded a term in vile?

yes - there's too many ways to interpret that.  I suggested "meta-magic"
because there's already a mode beginning with "meta-", and "magic" has
a long established meaning.

> Also: realised this morning that I need to update a bunch of other
> settings which broke when I altered MAGICMETA (paragraphs, sentences,
> etc.) This would likely be issue with a `meta-magic' setting…

yes... perhaps there's some useful (and meaningfully-named) combination
that we could come up with.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net