Re: [vile] Extended regexp

From: Marc Simpson
Subject: Re: [vile] Extended regexp
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 20:41:18 -0700

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 09:10:15PM -0700, Marc Simpson wrote:
>> >
>> > for anyone following along: be sure to update identifier-expr too.
>>
>> if we move ahead with the meta-magic change, the regex in eightbit.c
>> (l. 276+) to strip utf-8 suffixes,

>> will need to be lifted into a variable. (it took me a while to figure
>> out why unicode display was kaput in my butchered copy of 9.8q.)
>
> ok (the hard part is coming up with new names...)

indeed.  we'll also need to audit the current codebase for hard-coded regexes.

another instance that i happened upon tonight: the code for building
$buf-fname-expr in modes.c.  \\(, \\| and \\) are specified as
literals (see line l. 2453+)---they assume default metacharacter
settings.  a further grep of the tree suggests that the problem may be
quite widespread.