Re: [vile] Is there any sort of outliner that works well with vile

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] Is there any sort of outliner that works well with vile
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 09:31:54 +0100

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:16:51PM -0400, George Eccles wrote:
>      At the risk of exposing my ignorance, I do something that may do
>      what
>      you want.  I define a 'tag' format, where the tag would be listed in
>      a ToC, and
>      made a procedure to search for the tag under the cursor.  When
>      called, the
>      search would 'jumps' to the corresponding tag.  For instance,
>         ToC
>             tag_1   description
>             tag_2   description
>         body
>      Tag_1:  { ... whatever content  }
>      Tag_2: {  ... other content  }
>      As I use a this scheme, the 'tag format' is to either start the tag
>      name
>      at the left margin; or, for the tag_name to be the first non-space
>      text on the
>      line, if followed by a colon.  The procedure also places a mark at
>      the jump
>      origin, to permit return to the 'jump' point.
>      Regrets, if I'm missing the point.  (Happens a lot.) If no, and  if
>      it would be
>      helpful, I can provide more details.

No, you've not missed the point at all.  If I can't find anything
cleverer I will probably do exactly what you have described above.

There's already the built-in "screen-search-forward" command bound to
^X-/ which will search for the pattern under the cursor.

The only problem is that tag_1, tag_2 etc. have to be unique to
guarantee that you get to the section you want to get to.

--
Chris Green