Re: [vile] sudo/visudo

From: Wayne Cuddy
Subject: Re: [vile] sudo/visudo
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 17:43:58 -0500

On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 08:52:56PM +0100, Fabien COUTANT wrote:
> Le Sun, 6 Nov 2016 13:48:57 -0500, Wayne Cuddy a écrit:
> [...]
> > It now makes the assumption that all editors accept '--' as the option
> > list terminator. Really quite annoying.
>
> Hi Wayne
>
> IIRC it's a common usage with POSIX utilities, and supported by getopt(3)
> and getopt(1).
>
> In that precise case it allows passing strange file names such as those
> starting with '-' or '--' without prefixing them with <somepath>/ .
>
> Maybe it's the occasion to add it to vile rather than bugging sudo ?
> (though they may deserve it :-))
>
> --
> Cordialement,
> Fabien COUTANT.

Hi Fabian,

Understood, I should have mentioned that I'm familiar with it's use in
other utilities and I'm not particularly bothered by it.

I guess my main gripe with sudo is that it was added but I see no
mention of it in the change log nor a way to disable it in case the called
editor does not provide handling for it. Surely vile is not the only
editor that can't handle it at the moment.

That being said... I vote for adding it to vile as well if Tom agrees.

Wayne